Have you ever wondered why such an important event as Christ's entrance into the world would be retro-fitted with flying reindeer, elves, and a jolly old man who grants every child's materialistic fantasy? Believe it or not the answer is found in Scripture.
"In Him [Christ] was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shone in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it . . . He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him" (John 1:4-5,10-11).
You see, the truth about Christmas is too convicting and uncomfortable for many in this world. In fact, from the very beginning of Jesus' life, attempts were made to kill Him (Matt. 2:16-18, Rev. 12:3,4). It's no wonder that we continue to see subtle attempts to neutralize and cover the truth about Christmas. Our popular culture, the world at large “can't handle the truth”!
The first truth is that people are sinful in the eyes of a holy God and in desperate need of being saved from His wrath (Romans 3:23, Hebrews10:31). The biblical story of Christmas makes this very clear; saying, "You shall call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sin" (Matthew 1:21). The Apostle Paul said, "It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners," (1 Tim. 1:15).
- In other words, while the saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" sounds nice, it is really a deceptive half truth.
- Man's sin is really the reason for the season, and Jesus is the answer for sin’s cancer.
- The naturally prideful human heart does not want to be reminded of this Christmas truth year after year.
- This truth is also intolerable to pop culture and the world at large. Imagine it; if Jesus Christ is God, then God really does exist.
- Not only that, if God really did come into the world in the person of Christ, then not only does God exist, but He is involved with this, His creation (Romans 11:33-36; Heb.1:3).
- Even more frightening, --He must see us, know us and we really are accountable to Him! (Matt 12:36; John 3:19, 5:22; Heb.4:12-13).
You see, in addition to God’s “love”, He is also holy (Matthew 1:20; 1 Peter 1:16), and Just (1 John 1:9). If God was not Holy, our sin wouldn’t matter, and if He were not Just, He simply would care; and His sacrificial love would be unnecessary.
- For to separate God's love from His holy and righteous judgment, would simply create another subtle deception about Christmas.
- The truth about Christmas is salvation, that Jesus came all the way from heaven to rescue us. He pronounced us all guilty; then came here to pay the price of our guilt for us.
- God's Holiness determined it.
- His Justice demanded it.
- His Love desired it.
- His grace and mercy demonstrated it.
- His Word declared it.
Christmas is but one thing, God came to "seek and to save that which was lost" (Lk. 19:10). Don't let the truth about Christmas escape your notice this year.
HAVE A GOD BLESSED CHRISTMAS!
~ Pastor Cliff